Friday, February 14, 2014

Equilibrium

A winter storm visited our area this week.
Two weeks ago we had some ice accumulation as well. Depending on where you are from, this would barely register as a blip on the radar.
The South, however, goes six shades of crazy at a possible hint of extreme (to us) wintery weather. We live in an area on the freeze line, so weather could go either way for us. Thankfully, it wasn't too bad.

Tuesday, we waited with nervous anticipation to see if we were frozen over on Wednesday. It rained and rained on Wednesday, but I'm so grateful that the temps hovered just above freezing so ice was mostly in the tops of trees and not on the ground. Since I live in town, I don't drive over any bridges, so my life went on as usual.

Well, sort of. We lost power like many did. It does something to my psyche by throwing me off balance. I realize just how dependent I am on electricity and how I have to think really hard to figure out how to adapt. It was unsettling.

The irony is, I have half a dream that involves living off the grid. Which really means not being beholden to anyone for my electricity and comforts while still having all those comforts.

I was so puzzled by why so many lost power when, 2 weeks ago, it seemed that we got more ice, but few lost power. This time, there was lots of rain, little ice but power went out all over town. Businesses, homes, traffic lights...crazy. And lots of traffic! I'm grateful that we were without power for only 6ish hours. Others are still without power and it's been over 30 hours. There are predictions of it lasting 3 days or more.

The positive thing for me is that it helped us make a list of things we need for an emergency situation like this. An alternate source of heat is one. I'm looking at woodstoves and fireplaces. We have GOT to learn to be more self-sufficient. And teach our daughter too.

I'd love to hear your ideas!



No comments: