Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I'm Not Here

You may observe me going about my day to day routine, but I am not actually present. You see, I've left. I've left the city, the state--I've left the country.

I shall begin a travel catalogue chronicling my activities.

************************************************************

I decide to go. I had to have an escape. Unfortunately, one cannot just simply wake up one day and decide to go do whatever they want instead of take care of pressing responsibilities.

But that's just what I did.

Oh, I was considerate. I gave notices where notice was needed, but essentially, I walked away from it all. Technically, I flew, because one simply doesn't walk to the obscure island where I was headed.

I had come across this island in a book. I remember thinking it would be a lovely place to visit one day.

And here I am.

The process of travelling was an experience in patience--dealing with delays, layovers and long flights.. Fortunately, I'd packed rather lightly and managed to arrive without losing my luggage. A blessing. I could see the heat radiate in waves off the tarmac as I stepped off the small plane. the airport itself was a simple concrete building. I sensed there would be no Starbucks available here. Short work was made of security as I had very little to inspect.

I paused to gather my bearings and picked up a map. The island, although small, still required navigation and I like to get a "lay of the land" so to speak. After arranging for some transportation, I was off.

We drove for what seemed like forever, but I'm sure it was simply my anticipation that made the drive seem long. There wasn't much to see in the way of scenery other than craggy hillsides and a blue cloudless sky. I settled back in my seat breathing deeply...something I hadn't done in quite awhile.

To be cont'd....

6 comments:

Liz Harrell said...

Ok. I'm hooked!

Crystal Gable said...

I like.

Unknown said...

thanks guys...it's a good escape for me.

InTheFastLane said...

We all need an island...real or imagined :)

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see where this trip takes you!

Lady Em said...

Oh I like, I like!!!!!! Write more soon!!