Monday, August 4, 2008

I'm Not Here...cont'd

You may observe me going about my day to day life, but I am not here...here is a portion of my daily travelogue....
***********************************************************

I awoke to the sun streaming through the open window. I had no idea what time it was, nor did I care. I only knew that I was famished and in desperate need of coffee. I lay for a moment in the bed; piled high in a nest of pillows and sheets. I stretched luxuriously wiggling my fingers and toes. I reveled anew in my new found freedom and gave a little shriek of delight as I discovered it all over again.

I sat on the edge of the bed, letting my feet rest a moment on the cool floor. A glimpse out the window drew me--I pulled back the curtain.

I had been so tired and numb from travel the night before, that I had registered very little as I arrived at the modest inn where I am staying. It was twilight when I arrived and I had moved through check in functioning on auto-pilot.

Stepping out onto the narrow balcony, I survey the vista before me. I am in the heart of this little village. The inn is set up on a hill, the town spreads out before me, cobblestone streets weaving in and out among the whitewashed buildings. Achingly bright colors pop against this white canvas. Beyond this is a turquoise sea. I rush to dress, eager to begin the exploration of my new surroundings. Comfortable shorts, a soft cotton tunic top slipped on over my bathing suit will be my new uniform. Sturdy sandals comfortable enough for walking complete my ensemble.

I eagerly make my way downstairs, following my nose which directs me to the delicious scents wafting from the dining area. The coffee is hot and fragrant. I sit for awhile sipping coffee and eating breakfast while looking over brochures trying to decide what to do first. I was never good at making decisions, so I gather up the brochures and head out the door feeling serendipitous.

4 comments:

mamasinpajamas said...

Alrighty Ms. Serendipitous! Wherever you are, whether it's in your head or in real life, could you at least take a moment to view my new haircut? It's in my blog.
Oh, and daddy is sick again, sorry.
Glad you are having a good time so far, I mean if you are really there. It sounds very much like the novel I'm reading about a girl who just went to Greece.

Debbies-English-Treasures said...

I`M SO GLAD THAT I FOUND YOUR BLOG...
YOUR LAST POST, WAS QUITE A WONDERFUL READ.
IF I`M NOT TO LATE, PLEASE ACCEPT MY CONGRATULATIONS FOR YOUR WEDDING ANNIVERSARY...
MANY MANY YEARS OF HAPPINNESS FOR YOU BOTH!
KISSES KISSES
DEBBIE
XXX

Lady Em said...

I love this!!!!!!! I think I'll join you for some breakfast and some exploration in this neat little village!! Keep writing it is wonderful!! Have you ever read Under The Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes? I am in love with that book, and this feels a lot like her book!!

Yogihan said...

I found your blog after reading the comments on Debbie's English Treasures blog (Debbie is just a lovely lady!). Your blog is great, and your writing beautiful! Your post about your wedding anniversary is so profound. I've only been married for two years now, so it's still early days and all is going well. But a relationship is a constant work in progress, and we all change. Most of all, we need to be tolerant of each other, and the rest will follow.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts so beautifully with us!