Sunday, September 30, 2007

Progress

It has been a restful but productive weekend.

Hubby and I, once upon a lifetime ago, would visit thrift stores and the such. Yesterday, after looking around the house (again) and seeing the lack, I said, "let's go!" We went to our favorite local secondhand shop. I was looking for a sofa, chests for our clothing and a kitchen table. We did find a nice blond finish cabinet, which we purchased and I saw a wonderful metal night stand on wheels with a glass top and two drawers. Very medicinal, modern. Didn't purchase it, but plan to go back for it. Didn't find a sofa. On to the Habitat ReStore. It's 20 minutes before they close until next Saturday. I saw a cluster of sofas as soon as I walked in. There were 3 possibilities. I tried them out. One was on hold. One had just been purchased, I was advised as I sat on it and the third was...O.K. I was really drawn to the one on hold. (Why do we so badly want what we can't have?) It was sage, (not crazy about that, but I can recover it)it had three separate pillows for the back, nice high rolled arms, good for leaning against to read a book. I laid on it and could stretch out full length. Good for napping. I asked to find out how long they hold items before selling it to someone else and was told if they weren't back in 5 minutes, I could have the sofa. Bonus: it's a sleeper sofa! Oh joy! (Cue the Jeopardy theme music.) At 2 minutes till, I was given the go ahead. I asked how much it was. I held my breath...$60.00!! I scribbled out a check while lamenting the fact that I would have to wait until next Saturday to get my sofa since they didn't deliver and we were in our car. My hubby was making noises about putting in on top of the car. We were advised against it (to my relief) with descriptions of a smushed car. Then they endeared me forever to them by volunteering to stay until hubby went to get the truck. May I just say, that I was so grateful to read my newspaper and drink my coffee this morning while snuggled on the (new) couch!!! Thank you to the man of my dreams who used considerable muscle and sweat equity to get the sofa in the house for me!!

As if that weren't enough, I got up this morning and decided, Today... Today is the day I paint the hall. The hall that has been much discussed but not touched with paint since we moved in 9 years ago. Other rooms have been painted, some, a couple of times. The hall is now cerulean blue. Look at the sky on a cloudless day. That clear brilliant blue is now in the hall. Gorgeous.
Of course, now I'm thinking, "is it too blue, is it too dark?"
Painter's remorse.
It'll be fine.
Or I'll paint over it.
It's a welcome addition to my technicolor house. Sunny yellow kitchen, tangerine orange living room, apple green bedroom, bubblegum pink and lime for my girl's room. Happy, happy. All subject to change according to my passing color fancy.

Oh, I feel I've come out of a slump. I've been sooo...inert. It's nice to finally get some motivation to DO something! Now. If there were only more hours in a day when that motivation takes off!

1 comment:

HeyJules said...

Sounds like you had a pretty productive weekend!