Tuesday, November 4, 2008

An Adventure and a Half

It started with a phone call at 8:30 pm: "We're going tonight, in case you want to go." Are you kidding? Of course I want to go. It's my husband who is hesitant to let me participate in such an offbeat activity. My friend's message relieves him..."we've talked to a cop and it's not illegal and there will be three of us total." His assent makes me as giddy as a teenager allowed to drive alone for the first time.

We explore through the darkness looking for things others have thoughtlessly thrown away, amazed at people's wastefulness. I soon enter the spirit of the covert operation first, as the lookout, then peeking into waste bins, finally, self-electing myself to be the dispenser of the sanitizer. We found Halloween paraphernalia, barely expired baby cereal (sealed and plastic wrapped), a pottery planter-broken, but easily mended with glue, and a cordless phone (!) that had been used as a display. Most of the fun was in the spelunking.

I was up early this morning to go work out and as I left the house, realized I needed gas, so I stopped at the station about a block down the street. After getting gas, the truck wouldn't crank. So I gathered up my phone, change purse, water bottle, keys and cup of coffee. I had an awkward armful as I hustled back up the side of the road back home sipping my coffee as I went. Thankful for a second car, I motored to the gym only 30 minutes late.

I knew that if I didn't vote on my way home from the gym, I might not have another convenient opportunity. The line was down the side of the building and looked formidable. Not sure how long it would take, I decided to persevere and found the line to move if not quickly, at least steadily so that 45 minutes later, I was finished with that responsibility and on to the next task of getting one 5 year old out of bed and to school on time. We were only 5 minutes late and had only one small meltdown.

As soon as I had dropped of my girl, I breathed a huge sigh of relief and thought a large latte was in order. On my way, I received a text telling me about a baby boy shower and listing a date and address. I racked my brain for forgotten information and finally texted back: "Baby shower for whom?" (Pausing for a moment to pride myself on my grammar...and praying it WAS correct.) The response shed no light since I didn't recognize the names of the parents-to-be. Now I'm scared I'm supposed to know someone I don't know. As I sit and ponder this, a man knocks on my car door startling me. I open the door a crack and he informs me that my right rear tire looks might low and I might want to get it checked out. Are you kidding?! I decide I'm not doing anything until I fortify myself with a generous helping of caffeine. Thus armed, I remember we recently purchased a small air compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter. I employ this wondrous device and ten minutes later am on my way.

I arrive at work sorely tempted to collapse in a heap, but looked in the mirror and realized I might want to swirl some makeup across my face for the benefit of those around me. As I finish, my first client of the day arrives and I'm off to the races.

It's now lunch time and I feel I've worked an entire day already.

I'm glad life's not this exciting all the time! I don't know if I have the stamina to keep up!


Jenny said...

You morning made me tired just reading it!

Sounds like you had a good day though.


ksw_rootswriter said...

Speaking of dumpster diving, do you need an espresso machine? Just let me know...been meaning to ask. It's Krups & it's canary RED.