Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Day to Day

First, let me say that further research reveals that Boston is commonly known as Beantown. However, one of my readers (hi Mary) directed me to Cloud Gate at Millinium Park (which looks amazing!) http://www.millenniumpark.org/artandarchitecture/crown_fountain

Gosh, doesn't it feel like it should be Thursday already? I feel I've been off kilter since New Year's. All that time off has made me rotten.

Tidbits that are neither here nor there:

Yesterday, I had lunch with a friend I haven't seen in years. It began with a random text Saturday morning telling me it was good to see me over Christmas. She signed it with a shortened version of her name and so I had no idea who it was at first. Once we got that figured out, we set up lunch completely through text over the course of a couple of days. I don't know if that's cool or not. I'm kinda old-fashioned that way. I have to say it was pretty convenient though.

I created the most spectacular blonde hilights yesterday. Took a girl who is naturally blonde but gets blah during winter and perked her right up with 2 different shades of blonde (one a little lighter than the other) woven through her natural color. She looked like her natural self when all was said and done and I did a little happy dance.

After work, although I was running late to go to my knitting group, I ran by the "Grind" for a little vacation in a cup. Ah. In my hurry and concern with getting a no-fat sugar free hazelnut latte, I left wondering if I remembered to say "decaf". I just love surprises. I decided to wait till bedtime and we'd figure it out then. I'm still not sure, because I took a sleeping aid just in case. No problem. Except I'm a little sleepy this morning. Wonder why? :)

Well, now you know my life is not a series of fascinating events. Sorry. Just day to day little bits.

But I am going to CHICAGO!

3 comments:

InTheFastLane said...

I remembered one of the cool things we have done in Chicago is an architectural boat ride up the Chicago river. they tell you about the buildings and their history as you cruise. Or you can do a tour of Frank Lloyd Wright homes by bus or a self tour, there are prob. lots of maps on the internet.

hepsmom said...

Chicago is also known as the "Second City", "The Windy City", and "City of Broad Shoulders" from the Carl Sandburg poem:

Chicago


Hog Butcher for the World,
Tool Maker, Stacker of Wheat,
Player with Railroads and the Nation's Freight Handler;
Stormy, husky, brawling,
City of the Big Shoulders:

They tell me you are wicked and I believe them, for I
have seen your painted women under the gas lamps
luring the farm boys.
And they tell me you are crooked and I answer: Yes, it
is true I have seen the gunman kill and go free to
kill again.
And they tell me you are brutal and my reply is: On the
faces of women and children I have seen the marks
of wanton hunger.
And having answered so I turn once more to those who
sneer at this my city, and I give them back the sneer
and say to them:
Come and show me another city with lifted head singing
so proud to be alive and coarse and strong and cunning.
Flinging magnetic curses amid the toil of piling job on
job, here is a tall bold slugger set vivid against the
little soft cities;

Fierce as a dog with tongue lapping for action, cunning
as a savage pitted against the wilderness,

Bareheaded,
Shoveling,
Wrecking,
Planning,
Building, breaking, rebuilding,

Under the smoke, dust all over his mouth, laughing with
white teeth,
Under the terrible burden of destiny laughing as a young
man laughs,
Laughing even as an ignorant fighter laughs who has
never lost a battle,
Bragging and laughing that under his wrist is the pulse,
and under his ribs the heart of the people,

Laughing!

Laughing the stormy, husky, brawling laughter of
Youth, half-naked, sweating, proud to be Hog
Butcher, Tool Maker, Stacker of Wheat, Player with
Railroads and Freight Handler to the Nation.

Carl Sandburg

hepsmom said...

You are welcome, I am here to help!