Sunday, December 2, 2007

Garibaldi Cafe Savannah

Garibaldi Cafe Savannah

This is where I ate dinner last night.
Yum.
Double yum.

Our salon, for at least the past 3 years (probably longer, but I lose track of time), has gone to a nice restaurant in Savannah. Girabaldi Cafe is a fine dining restaurant located near City Market downtown. I had never been there before, but it has been often recommended to me. I was really looking forward to the outing and I was not disappointed. We were the last to arrive due to the complications of the Christmas parade traffic along with the one way streets and general congestion that is Savannah.

I knew I was in over my head when, after the appetizer, I asked for another fork and the waitress said, "Oh, yes, we'll reset you in a moment." I've never been reset before. Another waiter walks up and asks me, "Excuse me, is your water still or sparkling?" (Still.) Took a half a second to process that one. I studied the dizzying array of choices and determined to go with the diamond scored flounder which had been recommended by one of my clients who had visited Girabaldi's. It was served with an apricot glaze, orzo (I can't remember how they described it, but it tasted like Spanish rice, but with orzo. Red peppers, seasoning, etc.), and haricort vert. (I don't speak a second language and often have trouble with English, but soon discovered that I had a side of crisp green beans.) The presentation was impressive. My flounder arrived intact sans head. Whoa. How do you eat this thing? Turns out, it was so tender, I just scraped it away from the bone. Crispy/sweet outside, tender/delicious inside. Oh, my word, it was good. Everyone else was generous in giving taste tests of their selections, but although it was all delicious, I never once wished I had ordered what they had.

I know I have been careful with my carbs and sugar, so I disciplined myself not to eat the bread that was served with the meal. However, since it was a special occasion, and I had been so good otherwise, I rewarded myself with a chocolate flourless torte for dessert. It was not cloyingly sweet, but it was dark and rich. Heaven on earth. I left one bite---scratch that. I sat there long enough waiting for the bill, that I ate every bit. I'm not sorry either.

Man, I love good food!

3 comments:

Butterbean said...

Good Food, Amen!

hepsmom said...

Haricots verts -- Green is "vert", with an "s" because beans (haricots) is plural. This is French. I LOVED taking that in high school. Perhaps my favorite class of all!

I'm going to try to get the CDs to you this week, sometime. You know how that is.

Have a great week. Peace and chicken grease!

Amy Nieto said...

One of the many pricey places I always wanted to go in Savannah. One of these days I will go back... but with MONEY. And spend it all on At Home or Back in the Day Bakery 'cause I'm obsessive like that :P